Section 633 of the Highway Safety Code

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​When the size or load of a vehicle exceeds those permitted under the Vehicle Load and Size Limits Regulation, a special permit can be issued on request, as applicable.

In the event that a special permit cannot be issued under the Regulation respecting special permits or the Special Road Train Operating Permits Regulation, the Minister can issue a special permit by virtue of the powers conferred on him under section 633 of the Highway Safety Code (HSC) since 1986.

This type of permit is intended for the transportation industry as a whole. This list of the different types of permits is available in the “General Information” section.

Normative framework

The Minister may issue a special permit when a road vehicle or a combination of road vehicles is non-compliant with the regulation (paragraph 20 of section 621 of the HSC).

To grant the permit, the Minister must consider it justified by exceptional circumstances and consult the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). He shall fix the conditions attached to the permit, the fee exigible and the amount and nature of the security.

Target clientele

The operator, owner, distributor and driver of an outsized road vehicle or combination of outsized road vehicles, both heavy and light, must comply with the standards of the permit. However, this permit does not absolve the obligation to comply with any other legislative or regulatory requirement.

General information


Certain permits concern the transportation industry as a whole. A few examples of permits are presented in the table below. They indicate the requirements and limits attached to these permits. If applicable, exigible fees include administration fees.

Types of special permits issued by the Minister
Permit name ​​​
Costs 2022
LCV A train semi-trailer 12.2 m (88 KB) [in French only]
Straight truck with a rear-facing lifting system (186 KB) [in French only] ​$0.00
​​Agricultural vehicle (width 5.1 m), trading or recycler, elsewhere than on a motorway​$278.00
​​Delestable axle, fork lift, cars carrier, tractor wheelbase, B train length, tractor tri​dem​​ (49 KB) [in French only​]​​$0.00
​​LCV, cars carrier (148 ​KB) [in French only​]​
Saddle mount, length 30 m, annual​ (233 KB) [in French only​]​$324.00
Truck with a tridem in the rear (128 ​KB​) [in French only​]

Delay for obtaining a permit

Permit applications are processed within three business days.

Permit shipping method​

Permits are shipped by mail or email.

Security rating

Your security rating will be checked before you are issued a special permit.

The owners of heavy vehicles (Québec and U.S.) who are registered on the Commission des transports du Québec registry must have a satisfactory security rating in order to submit permit applications online. Otherwise, owners must send their application by mail. To know your security rating, consult the Commission des transports du Québec website (in French only).

The owners of heavy vehicles who are registered on another Canadian registry or on the National Safety Code can temporarily submit permit applications online without providing their registration number.

Payment by credit card

Can pay using one of the following credit cards:

  • MasterCard
  • Visa
  • American Express

At the time of payment, you will automatically be redirected to the Online P@yment ® government service.

Payment by cheque

To pay by cheque, please print out the completed form and send it with your cheque made out to the Minister of Finance of Québec, at:

Centre de gestion 1930
Ministère des Transports, de la Mobilité durable et de l'Électrification des transports
700, boul. René-Lévesque Est
Québec (Québec) G1R 5H1


Amendments are free of charge. Simply send a copy of the special permit with the desired changes by email at or by fax at 418-528-5670.

Cancellation and refund

Simply send a copy of the invoice and of the special permit with the word “cancel” by email at or by fax at 418-528-5670. There are no refunds after seven days of the special permit being in effect. Exigible administration fees for each permit issued are non-refundable.

Permit renewal and expiration notice

The Minister reserves the right not to renew expired special permits.

  • Permits without fees
    Permits are automatically renewed at the end of each year.
  • Permits with fees
    Special permit holders must make a new permit application within 30 days before the current permit expires. An expiration notice is generally sent to the permit holder as a reminder.

Indexation of permit cost

The Financial Administration Act provides for the adjustment of rates fixed by the government, one of its organizations or a ministry on January 1st of each year. The cost of permits renewed in December for the following year is the one for the current year.

When an expiration notice is sent to the permit holder in December and the payment at the established rate for the current year is received by the Ministère in January, this payment is accepted if the post-mark confirms it. Otherwise, the documents are returned to the holder.

Permit application form

Before making a permit application, you should:

  • consult the different types of permit;
  • access the permit specimen;
  • understand the permit conditions and limits;
  • read the previous sections.

The form can be used to make up to ten applications for a same permit.


For help filling out your permit application, dial 511 in Québec, or 1-888-355-0511 from anywhere in North America.

Changes to be noted

Since February 14, 2013, several permits issued under section 633 of the Highway Safety Code have been abolished. Outsized vehicles and combinations of outsized vehicles concerned are now standardized and can be used under the Vehicle Load and Size Limits Regulation.

Legal references


Info Camionnage newsletters​​

Frequently asked questions

Can I transfer a 633 permit to another vehicle or to another carrier?


If I sell my vehicle, does the permit follow?

No, as permits are non-transferable.

What are the consequences I might face if the information is wrong or if I change vehicle?

The permit could be considered as non-existent or non-applicable, and you might get fined.